Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyTerms and Conditions

Sunday 9 February 2020

Living Dead Dolls Presents Lord of Tears - OwlMan

http://davidmoody.net/

As a child I used to read loads of stuff on mysterious creature sightings and legends and watch anything that even hinted at these things. One of the most intriguing to me was a sighting of a humanoid owl in Cornwall in 1976 when two schoolgirls spotted this strange creature and drew pictures to show what they saw.

We used to go camping in Cornwall a lot when I was young so whenever we were there I'd keep my eyes peeled hoping for the chance to see this strange being for myself.

When I got a bit older I discovered that in America they had a Mothman and also a Goatman and this cemented my interest in what I later found out are called Cryptids.

Over thirty years have past since I discovered These creatures but my fascination for them remains as strong as it was when I was little.


Around 7 years ago I came across a trailer for an indie horror from Scotland called Lord of Tears, in it where images of an Owl Man and so of course I just had to see this film.

I was so glad I did, it's the kind of film that is secretive about it's story line and reveals it through events, real and imagined that play out over the course of the film.  

The events are played out through a series of feelings, repressed memories, nightmares and strange things taking place, so that the whole story only makes sense at the end when you piece together what you saw.

So for almost the entirety of the film, you, the viewer are in the same position as the main character who is trying to make sense of what is going on around him... 

I can't tell you much I loved this style of story telling, it's so refreshing to not have to deal with a thin plot and a load of jump scares like so many films these days.

I watched it twice more after that first time.



Then suddenly it was really hard to find and as there was no dvd available to purchase of it, I had to wait and hope it would soon be released to I could watch it again.

Even though, when it came out in 2013 there was no dvd to be had I placed it on my birthday and Christmas lists anyway and waited...

This Christmas, I got my wish - my son and his girlfriend bought it for me (yay!) so of course I had to watch it again right away!



















One of the things I love about this film is the fact there is such a small cast (9 people) with most scenes featuring just two.  

I find that there is something very special about films with a small cast, it feels more personal; like you are being told the story by a friend. 

Which is exactly how this film plays out; it centres around a School Teacher called James Findlay who visits his old childhood home - a mansion in the Highlands after the death of his mother where he discovers deep secrets of his past that his parents kept from him through their estrangement and unravels the strange repressed memories that had been haunting his dreams.

All this he relays to his friend / colleague Allen on his return as he tries to come to terms with what he discovered.

The thing that really drew me to this film was the image of Moloch (the Canaanite God associated with child sacrifice) who appears to the main character several times throughout the film in the guise of a man shaped being with an owl's head and long talons for hands, which is why another name for this film is OwlMan.

 I prefer the original title to be honest as to my mind it's more mysterious, but that's neither here or there really!


So when I received an email from Mezco toys back in October announcing their new release - The Lord of Tears OwlMan - I just had to have him so he went on my wish-list too...

 I didn't get him, he's pre-order at the moment but last week I went looking for him again and placed an order for him.

As he is expected to ship in July he'll be an early / belated birthday present for myself.

So expect another post about him as soon as he arrives!

Hugs,

       







                                                            Follow

2 comments:

Herbie Hopkins said...

Hi Linda,
Let me know what you think of it, I'm interested to hear your take on it.
He is pretty impressive, I can't wait to get my hands on him!
Hugs,
Herbs x

Herbie Hopkins said...

Hey Linda,
I'll look forward to hearing your take on it!
Even more hugs,
Herbs x