Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyTerms and Conditions

Saturday 8 May 2021

Salad Fingers by Unbox Industries.

https://www.theverge.com/


In the early 2000's I discovered an animated series made by a British animator called David Firth. It centred around a cute green being, who has very long fingers, an obsession with rusty spoons and nettles and has several friends who appear to do finger puppets and may or may not be real.

Salad Fingers, lives alone in a landscape that appears to be post apocalyptic and populated by strange mutated characters whom he occasionally interacts with.

 As the series progress, you learn more about Salad Fingers and his situation, his family and are introduced to the possibility that everything you see may be an illusion taking place inside the mind of a possibly mentally ill person that takes the form of Salad Fingers.

I was obsessed with the series when I discovered it and showed it to everyone I could. 

Over the years, an occasional upload would be released continuing Salad Fingers story until the final upload in 2013... And that was that, Salad Fingers was over and all there was to be discovered about his origins, life and back story were all contained in those 10 episodes.

That is until January last year when I received a notification that David firth had uploaded an 11th episode of Salad Fingers... after 6 years, and so began my obsession all over again!


A few months later, I discovered that there was now a Salad Fingers Action Figure, and of course I wanted one!

For one reason or another, I didn't manage to get my hands on him, until December came around and I discovered that Aaron had brought me one for Christmas... What can I say, my son is awesome!




And so, I now have my own Salad Fingers to play with... He now lives inside his blister pack on my wall until I have a new rusty spoon to show him, or discover a patch of nettles for him to rub on his teats to make the milk drip out!




He stands around 7 inches tall, has articulation at the shoulders, ankles, wrists and neck, which means his head can rotate 180 degrees, but that just looks silly because then his face is on upside down!




His hands are moulded into touchy scrape position, but as they turn at the wrists it is possible to make him hold things, although he much prefers running his elongated fingers along spikes or against rust particles.




He doesn't quite manage to stand up by himself, probably having jabbed his finger on one of those aforementioned spikes and losing too much red water... But he can be posed with his feet turned in different directions.




I recently discovered there is another version of this figure.. Mine is the Red Water Edition, but there is also a Teeth version, which shows off his cracked and decaying teeth to full effect.


Unbox Industries.


I've also discovered that there is a third version, one where Salad Fingers is smiling, by smiling I mean his closed mouth kind of smug expression.

All three versions were designed and produced by Unbox and I'm not totally sure if this is correct, but I have read on another site that each edition is limited to 300 pieces.

Anyhoo, there's my little guy, and none of the reasons why I love him because I can't really put into words how he makes me feel.

So check out the cartoon series if you haven't already, the episodes are pretty short so it won't take too long out of your day and if you like surreal, slightly creepy stuff you're sure to like it!

Well that's me done, so take care...



4 comments:

Stephanie Blackwood said...

How did you get this?

Hubert said...

I ordered a Hubert cumberdale shirt just to support the artist and I was looking up trying to find some sort of t-shirt or something again. I'm all about supporting artists cuz I too like and do art

Herbie Hopkins said...

Hi Stephanie,
My son bought him for me for Christmas that year.

Herbie Hopkins said...

Hi Hubert,
Awesome!
I love Hubert Cumberdale!