Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyTerms and Conditions

Saturday 3 November 2012

Horsman 1971 Styling Head Girl's Toy

Meh, I keep finding myself going to look for one thing on Ebay, and find a whole lot more things, I didn't know existed... this Vintage Styling Head by Horsman is one such thing!

As a child I loved, loved. loved the Girl's World Styling Head by Palitoy that so many of my friend's had in  the 1980's, sadly I didn't have one of my own, but as I used to go and play at friend's houses, I got a chance to try them out...I wanted one for years, so when I finally found one recently in a Charity Shop, I just had to have her...pictures of her to follow soon...

And just  now I've discovered another type, from a similar time period, it's just unfortunate the seller is in the U.S (High Shipping cost to U.K  - $46.70, which Ebay say is Approx: £29.11!) or I'd buy her, as the toy itself is reasonably priced at: $12.22 (Buy It Now) - Approx: £7.62!!
I have no idea why the seller refers to her as having a "swivel bust" though as she has no bust at all, only neck and shoulders, so I guess that should have been "Swivel head" then instead!
Oh well, I guess I'll just have to "blog her" instead and keep my eyes peeled for a U.K based one to buy!

EBAY TITLE: Horsman 1971 Doll Blonde Styling Swivel Head Bust Vtg



 I'd love to know if those eyebrows of hers are made of some kind of "dolly hair", because they really don't look painted on in this photo.

( 29th December 2012 - Update, A very kind reader called April, has put me straight by letting me know those eyebrows are in fact painted on - An excellent bit of painting, I must say, as they really do look like hair in these pic's - Thanks so much April, for the heads up!)


 Aww play - worn hair, but then again for a pre-loved  styling head, this is to be expected!


            No plugs missing as far as I can tell, but definitely thinning on top.

                 
                           She could definitely use some conditioner!


I'm sure those eyebrows definitely are hair of some sort!


She doesn't appear to have any markings underneath, but her suction cups are in pretty good nick considering!

                                                                    Seller's description: 

1971 preowned used Horsman Doll Blonde Styling Swivel Head Bust, made of soft and hard vinyl with suction cup feet.
 Hair is thin on top, make-up blemish on cheek and black spot on her nose.
 The 11 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 5 1/2" bust have wear consistent with play use and storage, will need cleaned, allow pictures to determine condition.


.

8 comments:

April said...

As I have one of these from my childhood, I can tell you that the eyebrows are painted on.

Herbie Hopkins said...

Thank you for your comment April, and for visiting my blog! I wasn't sure from the photo's as they did look a little 3 dimensional to me, but it's great that you've put me straight! All the best, Herbs x

Anonymous said...

Any head on top of a set of shoulders- is referred to as 'a bust' ;-)

Herbie Hopkins said...

Thank you for your comment anonymous - I'm fully aware of the terminology in reference to sculpture, however, this is a child's toy which is referred to as a "Styling Head". In my post I commented that the item has a "swivel head", you could even refer to this as a swivel neck, it is not however a "swivel bust" as this type of toy generally has "suckers" which secure the base to a table top for ease of use, therefore when in play the shoulders are stationary as it is the head that moves due to the "swivel neck".

Peppermint Snowdrift said...

If you like that styling head, then you'll more than likely love the 1974 Teenage Betsy McCall doll by Horsman, because that exact styling head mold was used for her, too!

I truly wish that I could have afforded the last NRFB 1975 Teenage Betsy McCall doll that I found on eBay (Total= $211.45!!!....and I'm livin' in the U.S.A.!), 'cause she's SO pretty and unusual that I'm using her picture as the inspiration for the main character from a story that I'm writing.

There was a blonde version of this same doll, but I think that she is Betsy's blonde cousin Barbara McCall....Oooh, dear! I now want BOTH of these dolls!

The Teenage Betsy McCall doll has side-parted auburn hair, incorrect BLUE eyes (Betsy's eyes were always brown....Oh, well!), and the 1971 Horsman Styling Head face. She wore a red top, a blue jumpsuit, a red scarf, and red platforms. Her blue box was labeled "Betsy McCall....She WALKS with you!"

Barbara McCall (I've never seen her NRFB, so she may have been incorrectly labeled as "Betsy") wore a dress that featured a white blouse, and a black skirt, and she was a blue-eyed blonde.

BOTH dolls' outfits were outwardly labeled "BM"!

Search online for photos of "teenage Horsman Betsy McCall doll", and you'll see what I'm talking about....AND you'll see that lovely, slightly aloof Styling Head face....surrounded by AUBURN hair!

Herbie Hopkins said...

Oh wow, I checked her out and she's gorgeous! Another for my wishlist now *sigh* it never gets any shorter!

Peppermint Snowdrift said...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Betsy-McCall-doll-/191815785258?hash=item2ca91c9b2a:g:JSUAAOSwDuJW06mV

I was WRONG! The Teenaged Betsy McCall HERSELF was available as BOTH a blonde and an auburn-haired gal. I still prefer the more traditional, reddish-haired doll, but I love the blonde's pretty dress!

Unknown said...

I HAVE THIS STYLINHG HEAD. I WILL BE LISTING TODAY ON EBAY. SHE IS IN REALLY NICE CONDITION. WILL SOMEONE LET ME KNOW IF SHE IS BETSY MCCALL. THANKS