Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyTerms and Conditions

Tuesday 4 December 2012

Betty - Downs Syndrome Doll - Reactions from Doll Collectors on Multiply

I think I've already posted about this doll, but if I did I certainly didn't post the reactions it got from My Dolls More Doll Buddies, so here it is from there.

Btw, I may have several double posts on here, if I do I'm sorry but it's due to my importing every thing from Multiply onto my Blog as the Social Networking part of Multiply was being closed, I wanted to be able to save all my posts / uploads and put them somewhere safe, hence the merge and possibility of double posting ho hum, anyhoo, if you haven't seen this little cutie before, or you have but you'd like to read more reactions to the doll, read on...




carnice05 wrote on May 18, '09
she is sweet, a picture of innocence, you get all sorts of dolls now, colour, race gender, I would welcome her into society, great for young people to recognise her type of disability as an individual, and not all classed the same. when and where I was growing up, kids in wheelchairs, learning disabilities  down syndrome, regardless of their disability were classed as ' spastic' ps.. does bratz dolls teach little girls to become little bratz,
dollectabledonna wrote on May 18, '09
Good concept, But i think they could have made her look a bit better without her tongue hanging out, I was brought up with disability in my family and think yes its great to educate but the best way to do that is not to point out the differences but to teach that everyone is individual , dolls are great but only if they reflect the whole ,
lilacmermaid wrote on May 18, '09
I have a real love for downs syndrome children and adults, i think it's good to have all kinds of dolls but personally i think they could have done a better job, the eyes and mouth are wrong for me. When i remember the little girl that i fell in love with one summer on holiday when she was camped near to us was her lovely eyes, without the bags shown here and here gorgeous smile without the tongue showing. They have however done a good job on the feet which are cute just like any babies feet are, my tenpenneth, lol, Janet.x
weebairns wrote on May 18, '09
Being the mother of a child with Asperges Syndrome, my youngest son James has it, (its a mild form of autism), I totally agree that anyone with a disability should be helped to see although they may be a little different, they have the same rights as everyone else, so think these dolls could help, but I agree that the face could have been modelled better. Great idea though
juliejunejulie wrote on May 18, '09, edited on May 18, '09
She is hideous. The idea is good but the doll is a beast, the maker could have done a bit more research as this is a Downs clown. My friends Girl Fay Looked nothing like this, sadly she passed away at 18mths as she had a heart problem.
kitschartherb wrote on May 18, '09
I think she's pretty cute too...I do have a problem with the tongue, and you'd think a doctor who treats such children would have designed the face a little better...I find people with down's syndrome are more often than not always happy and smiling and I think that should have been portrayed in the doll....the tongue and the small ears is what's upsetting parents mostly...but I think maybe a few of these dolls in playgroups etc would go a long way to educating young "able bodied" children that we are not all born the same and there is a place for everyone in society regardless of physical differences...

You're right John, they used to say that when I was young too and it's never sat too well with me I could never understand why when they were just people who cant do some things the same as me...my cousin's boy had down's (before my time) but I'm told by everyone who knew him that he was such a happy and contented little boy and a joy to be around...I think that aspect more than any other is what should have been portrayed in these dolls



1 comment:

the right move said...

Insane. This is what happens when you try and bring reality into creative and imaginative play. We see ourselves in the image of the doll not the other way round.
This is an example of adults over producing over subscribing and over legitimizing what play should be for a child.

the child needs freedom of play not an adults rational mind
Leave em alone.